Monday, October 4, 2010

Two Lessons of the Day

#1-He Hears Even the Small Things
This morning was our first day that we had a schedule to follow. After breakfast, I headed back up to my room for an hour of quiet time. Thank goodness for a little trick I learned for when you don't know what to read but want to read a few quick verses. So I read the Psalms and Proverb of the day. Right after quiet time, I headed to all base worship where everyone meets (all staff and both DTS schools: Marriage of the Arts and Go-Mobile).

During worship, singing one of the many songs I had never heard before, there was a few words that I couldn't stop thinking about. "He is faithful to the end, He is faithful to my heart, He is faithful to the end; He will come and marry me." I just kept thinking about how faithful God is. Admist the big and the small "problems" that we encounter, nothing goes unanswered, unhealed, or untouched by God.

Psalm 4:1, "Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have relieved me in my distress; Be gracious to me and hear my prayer." Psalm 34:6, "This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him and saved him out of all his troubles." Psalm 64:1, "Hear my voice, O God, in my complaint..." Psalm 94:11,13-14, "The Lord knows the thoughts of man, that they are a mere breath...That You may grant him relief from the days of adversity, until a pit is dug for the wicked. For the  Lord will not abandon His people, Nor will He forsafe His inheritance."

Okay, so I shared those verses with you because they come into play. Anyways, back at the scene of worship. During one of the transitions from one song to another, a girl from the other DTS came up and shared that a word God put on her heart. Worship is a time for healing; reach out to God and ask that you may be healed, whether spiritually, emotionally, physcially.....Then one of the leaders stepped in and asked for anyone that needed some kind of healing to raise their hand for others to gather around and pray for them. This is where the verses become applicable. I started to think, "What do I need healed? Emotionally, spirtually...hmm. God, You've really blessed me. I feel strong.....but that stupid knee of mine. Why do I love to run so much?!" Once again, the leader asks, "Everyone who is need of prayer for any sort of healing, raise your head now so others can gather around and pray for you."

Did I raise my hand? No. I mean, it's just a little pain in the knee. I'm thinking maybe we need to be praying for people who have had major health problems, drug addictions, open heart surgery...yeah? Nope. Almost immediately when I thought that I wasn't in need of prayer, another leader came forward. "Hey guys, God just told me that someone with a leg injury needs prayer, so if that's you, come up here right now because I want to pray for you." I love the way He works. Whether you want to do something from the get-go or you hesitate, stomp your feet, refusing with as much effort to do something, God is always going to find a way to get you to do it someway or another. Proverbs 4:12, "When you walk, your steps will not be impeded; And if you run, you will not stumble." Praise God! I haven't heard the usual cracking sound or felt the normal pain all day long! Super stoked.

Here's the lesson out of all of this: God is always, and forever will be, faithful. Despite how we view our problems, complaints, frustrations, or troubles, God is always waiting for us to come before Him and submit to Him. Nothing is too small to bring before the Lord. In fact, bring everything to Him. He's the best you can possible go to.

Lesson #2-Leaving Our Nets Behind
We also had our first "lecture" given by Jan, who is one of the base founders living here at the castle with his family. He shared a lot about the history of the castle and how Herrnhut began, but more importantly, he was sharing his excitement for this school. He likes to refer to us as the Pioneer DTS because we are the first DTS, from the Herrnhut base, to go mobile and travel around Europe with a very raw rough draft as to how or what we will be doing during the weeks out in the street ministries within Hamburg, Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris. (*Mom, it's safe. God's got our back.)

In this adventure, Jan wanted to remind us of why we are here. We are definitely all here for this craziness because God has a divine plan for each and everyone of us. However, there's a catch. We can't come here, thinking that this is just a six month time for us to step out of our normal life schedules to devote our lives to God. (**Puke, seriously. I really hope nobody EVER lives their lives like a planner..."my day, God's day, live for me, live for Jesus..." Am I making this point clear? Live every year, every day, every hour, every minute, every second for God. Got it? Good. I knew you would understand.=) Sorry about the rabbit trail, just had to get that in there.)....

Well, in talking about how our lives should always be pressing on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus (Philippians 3:14), he also referred to how the disciples all dropped what they were doing in life so that they could follow Jesus. Galatians 5:24, "Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." (*Staci, feel free to refer to Gal 2:20 instead...I'm sure you would LOVE to read that one again and again.)

To wrap it all up, I'm here in Herrnhut, Germany with one goal. To press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. I want to take hold of God and become who He wants me to be. Did I mention what I'm doing after I get back? Because I have no plans and don't want any until they are clear plans from God. Just as the twelve disciples left their work behind, I'm leaving my desires and passions behind.

#2 Lesson in a nutshell: If we truly want to be glorifying God, then we have to follow Him. Leave your fishing nets behind, whatever they may be, and seek the Lord with all your heart. Proverbs 3:5-7

Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment