Sunday, November 21, 2010

You Are a Treasure Chest

God loves me so much that He sent His only Son to die for me, not because I was worth it but to make me worth it. I am learning that I am more than just a child of His. What more does God think of me? According to 1 Peter 2:9, I am "a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession."

God gave me a song, through the help of a dear friend by the name of Kayla Rasmussen, to better describe this phase of discipleship I'm going through. The song is "Finding Your Feet Again" by Denison Witmer.

"This is what it's like
Finding your feet again
The part of you that couldn't
Finally thinks you can

You're taking off some time to do this
A small apartment bedroom rearranged
To know that you are loved
You're finding your feet again
The part of you that couldn't
Finally thinks you can

A brownstone on a street in Brooklyn
The light tier flash from temperature to time
And people do the same
You're falling asleep again
Part of you a dreamer
And part of you is dream

And you said...

Go now in the light of your God
Go now in the love of your God
Go now in the peace of your God
Go now in the joy of your God."

I'm finding my feet again. My feet are to "walk in a manner worthy of God who calls you into His own kingdom and glory" (1 Thessalonians 2:12) I pray for every footstep to show that I am walking and abiding in Jesus Christ.

I've been seeing several things repeatedly coming up that aren't just coincidences. Nope. I don't think coincidences come in such an overwhelming abundance of repetition. Oswald Chambers said something similar to when things come with a constant repetition or a strong persistance, God is desperately trying to communicate with you.

About a month or two before I left for DTS, I had this crazy idea to bring my violin. WHAT??!! Most common question EVER: "Kari, YOU play the violin??!" Yep. Given, I hadn't played since high school, but yes. I started to play when I was ten. Maybe I had let the amaziness of other musicians surrounding me create a bit of insecurity. (cough, cough, my Dad, Voetbergs, Puyallup Crew, musicians everywhere, wink, wink). Not a bit of insecurity. Yep. Complete intimidation of amazingly wonderful musicians. Yep. Fear of man mixed with a ton of pride. Eww.

In fact, during this time before I left, I had even realized then I had put the musical gift that God gave me on the back burner. Why? Because I wasn't satisfied with my performance, I feared the humiliation that comes with people being better, and I wanted to be the best. You could say I was slightly a perfectionist. Slightly. Nope. Definitely-I was a perfectionist (still have my tendencies; God grace is more than sufficient).

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love singing songs during worship but I've noticed that something is missing. My violin. Nope. I didn't pack it. And since this DTS, God has given me several different "coincidences" to remind me of how much I so wish I had brought it. Every place I've been, God has given me a reminder of what I have from Him. He placed a treasure inside of me. I tried to place this particular treasure out of my chest when really God wanted me to use my gifting to bring Him praise. I'm now understanding that He gave me more than I am giving.

He is giving me eyes to see that He will never remove the gifts He has given me. My violin is just about in reach, give or take a few thousand miles. I'm so excited because as I wait for a violin to have to play, now is the time that God is really growing a desire in my heart to play music for His glory. Now I'm just starting to wonder how much longer He has to stir up this inside of me. Don't worry. It's a work in progress, but I'm hoping to have a violin to take with me on outreach. Mom, Dad, and I are working out the details to make this possible. Who in Africa wouldn't want to hear my grooves? (Yep, Africa! Duh. ;-) Little rabbit trail, but I wanted to SECRETLY let you all know my outreach continent; specific location to be announced-->figured out...)

I'm staying with an incredible family in Brussels, Belgium. They love to play music and worship God! The daughter plays the violin. Of course! Tonight, we just enjoyed fellowship together and worshipped (I haven't played the violin yet...but I will). Once their daughter went to bed, I shared how God is revealing what I've been trying to deny and hide. Despite the past two years and not missing it, I miss playing the violin now more than ever. I now desire to play with a different heart. "The part of you that couldn't finally thinks you can." I don't care how awful I am or how awful people may think I am. My heart is for Him and I want to bring Him joy. I want to, I can, and I will play for Him.

Before we headed up to our rooms, our host parents prayed for Martha and I to be musical vessels; bringing glory and praise to God. Russ, Mr. FamilyHostMan, mentioned that earlier today, someone from church shared an impression from God. "Coincidence is God is trying to let you know something." Yes indeed.
So now, after listening to that one song over and over while writing this, I'm going to bed in the light, love, peace, and joy of God. Hallelujah!

Praise God!

Thanks for all of your prayers! I'm loving this YWAM craze! I have a treasure chest inside of me. This DTS is only the beginning of discovering all the other treasures God has woven within me. Start preparing yourself for what you will see from my life after this DTS. In other words, I'm dreaming bigger and I'm going to do things in life I never thought I would do because God's plan for me is bigger and better than even I or you could imagine. It's only the beginning folks...GET READY!

I am...

7 comments:

  1. very cool. thanks for sharing, Kari! Will pray you can get that violin soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Kari! Knowing the value of an instrument improves you ability to be one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kari-you are his ambassador, even to us back at home learning from your experiences! yikes! thanks for teaching me the wisdom of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari Andersen. I am so stunned by our Jesus through you. Tears could seriously come to my eyes as I am so, so excited about God's continual GREAT revelations to you 'especially' in the form of violins ... Praise Him for seeing the most intimate, intricate pieces of ourselves and being so extremely faithful. I am cheering for you and believe incredible/increased fervor and confidence and outpouring over ya ... You inspire/challenge me, woman. Kudos on the Denison song, by the way;). Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI kari i dont know you but i found your blog i am thinking of doing the moblie DTS this coming october. Did most of your team speak german? if so was that hard to communicate? so the lecture phase was spent traveling europe and there was an outreach outside of europe? how long was that? sorry for all the questions? is there things that future students should know before signing up?? thanks so much i have really enjoyed reading your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Olivia,

    I'm glad to hear that despite knowing me, you're enjoying the blogs. That's awesome! :)

    To answer your questions...
    Most of my team did speak German, however, they have translation and the German speakers are more than willing and desire to learn English so that shouldn't be something to scare you off. The language barrier was present at the beginning, but by the end of my DTS, nearly everyone was speaking English fluently. If anything, you can contribute to their English. Especially when you ask them to say words like photosynthesis. It's a blast!

    During the three-month lecture phase, our time was spent in Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, and France. We did do mini-outreaches at least two times a week during lecture phase. It was somewhat draining but it really helped us to depend on His strength rather than our own. And yes, we did do outreaches outside of Europe for the outreach phase for three months.

    I would tell a future student to be prepared for what God is going to do in your life and open for how He may use you on your DTS: be willing and obedient to Him.

    As now a former DTS student, I can now honestly say that I'm really excited to see that God is stirring your heart for the possibility of taking your relationship with Him deeper. Hopefully that answers all of your questions. If you have any other questions or prayer requests, send me an email at karileaandersen@gmail.com

    Sorry that was so long. I seldom write "short" notes...:)

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Keep pressing into Him!
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks so much that helps a lot, so most of the students were germans learning english?

    Was it weird being the only kind of American person?

    also what did you do for Christmas, because i know there is some time off there??

    Yah im so excited to see what God is going to do in my life. I'm just waiting to get accepted and we will go from there, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions even though you don't know me :)
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete